Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Worn art

I chose this pastel sketch because I gave the sitter a big body and a leetle head, and because the style and colours make me think of some of Gauguin's work.


I've been having a bit of a clear out, preparing my studio for when Nuala Ní Chonchúir visits on September 1st, to start her virtual book tour, here!
I'm going to be interviewing her about her latest book of short fiction, Nude. I have my copy, which I read whilst pushing the buggy to school, and I cannot praise it enough.
You may remember I was asked to think up three questions to ask Nuala. Me being the generous soul that I am, offered one of you lucky bloggers a chance to ask a question yourselves. Well, I can say I have chosen the question (it was an easy decision, those of you who are regulars will know why) and I am very happy to announce Lori Tiron-Pandit as the other lucky questioner. Hurrah for Lori!
As her prize, Lori will have her blog showcased on this blog after the interview which should hopefully benefit her with some extra blogger traffic.
So watch this space for more updates and, possibly, more nudes - it's amazing what tattered un-masters you find down the far recesses of a dusty old portfolio! I might start painting nudes again - any offers for sitters?







14 comments:

Group 8 said...

I'd sit only I'm too far away.
What a great pastel sketch - very much reminds me of Degas.
Can't wait to stop by!!

Lori said...

Really? I won something? Wow, that rarely happens to me. Thanks, Rachel. Can't wait for the interview!

Lori said...

And I can't believe you can paint like this! I'm speechless. You're so gifted. So lucky.

Law and Order said...

Love the Nude. Dunno about offering to pose, though! :)

I'm really interested to hear more about your interview, and lucky Lori! I'll be keeping a watch...

Rachel Fenton said...

WWR - Thanks for the offer, not many are that brave!

Congratulations Lori - try to contain your excitement, I know, it's difficult...with such an awesome prize and all! ;)

Ah, go on, AW, an arm placed here, a drape of fabric there... :)

Thanks for the compliments all of you!

Dave King said...

I thought like you at first: Gauguin. But I have to agree with Women Rule Writer that it is very reminiscent of Degas. Whichever, it is a fine piece of drawing - really! Excellent line drawing to the body; the head and face full of character. It really works well.

Rachel Fenton said...

Thank you Dave. I am fond of it, despite it deing disproportional. I like to think it has a wonky charm. I like that the sitter seems to be regarding us with something like disdain.

Titus said...

Love the nude, more than happy to volunteer if you can cover the air fare!

Rachel Fenton said...

Haha, if I were making that much money, Titus, I would fly to you!

catdownunder said...

Prowling over the pond (actually paddling like mad) to say I accidentally deleted your kind remarks on my chocolate post - thankyou...sorry the chocolate got soaked in sea water!

Rachel Fenton said...

Have I made you trigger happy with the censorship button? I really enjoyed reading your post, very moving - the chocolate was a bonus!

Lynnette Labelle said...

Hi, I saw your post on Lori's blog, so I thought I'd pop over.

I'm not sure if you write romance (or something with romantic elements), but if you do, you should check out the contest on my blog. Go to: http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Lynnette Labelle

Lynnette Labelle said...

I just realized you did this sketch. Very nice.

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Rachel Fenton said...

Hi Lynnette, thanks for popping by. Glad you liked the sketch.