Friday, October 5, 2012

Leader board

Last week, I was in a bit of a sludge, having lost my focus; sometimes, writing being the solitary act it is, it's easy to feel a little alone with one's thoughts, easy to create a few negative voices for company where there really are none.

This weekend, my daughter is in Wellington, competing in the National Surf Life Championships. So far, she has won, with her team, silver and bronze medals. It's taken hard work to get there; a couple of years ago, she couldn't even swim. She doesn't complain about all the training she has to do, getting up at 5:30 am every Saturday morning when most kids her age are sleeping in, she just does it.

I'm going to take her lead.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea. It's amazing what you can achieve with practice. I feel inspired now too!

Are you up at 5.30 am on Saturday too to drive her to practice? Eek!

Rachel Fenton said...

Oh good - I'm glad, Helen (hate the thought of making people miserable!)

My husband drives - I stay home and write until our son wakes. After training, I go back to writing for the day and don't stop until I drop.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your daughter!

Rachel Fenton said...

Thank you, Donna!

Lori said...

It is strange how much children teach us and make us better people, isn't it? It's supposed to be the other way around.

Rachel Fenton said...

:) It is, Lori. You're right.

Anonymous said...

Child is father to the man, Rae!

Rachel Fenton said...

Aye, lad, I know you're right.

chillcat said...

Congrats to your girl. Mine skis down slopes I would need a ladder to descend.
I hate those murky weeks, but they must come I think. It's just to provide contrast no?

Rachel Fenton said...

It's wonderful that our daughters are so brave, Cat.

And you're absolutely right - it's all about the contrast - keeps the eyes sharp!

sansserif said...

Yip - that's our kids - leading the way; effortlessly sign-posting the answers they don't even realise we've been asking for.
I agree with you and Cat - can't say I enjoy the murky times (and there've been a few) but I know it's them I need to thank for the 'texture', the perspective, the 'light and dark' - I'm searching for the right word and failing! It's been a long day...

Rachel Fenton said...

You're saying it just right, LML - thanks. Happy Halloween!

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Oh but I do like the word 'texture'. I think it does the trick! Xcat

Rachel Fenton said...

There's nothing like a lump in the road for providing a viewing platform. xxx