Thursday, February 28, 2013

Exit bit

I just got back from the launch of  the Ngā Pakiwaihtuhi exhibition at the St Paul Street Gallery, central Auckland. The exhibition contains work by many of New Zealand's finest comic artists and is curated by Dylan Horrocks. 






 This was my view from the Mimosa cafe in Takapuna where I stopped for a coffee and a muffin on my way to the comics exhibition.

I didn't finish this sketch of the window cleaner. I wanted to show his reflection beside the bank's slogan, but a bird titched on my head.

The exhibition was very interesting - all the work was inspiring - it made my brain fizz. When my senses felt overwhelmed I went outside to sit on a bench where I could look at the mingling through glass as if viewing a diorama.

I was distracted from my sketching by a conversation between the people further along the bench.

 
 I tried to capture the ambiance.

 In between ear-wigging I was noticing things. I noticed this guy looked like he wished someone would talk to him before staring at the same panel on Mat Tait's work for some time.

 It got cool. When the people got up to leave I noticed a skip at the end of the bench.

 Then a man in a suit that appeared to have been pencilled on him sat next to me, said something. I smiled. He smiled. My husband arrived with our kids and I left.


All images copyright © 2013 Rachel J Fenton (Rae Joyce)









10 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Loved this! Multi-talented, you are...

Rachel Fenton said...

Or not, eh? ;) Ho hum. I love having something else I can do to stave off the rejection blues! I'm chuffed you enjoyed this. Thank you x

Lori said...

This was very entertaining! That seems like a very interesting crowd, at least when it's filtered through a good observer like you.

I am having a little trouble seeing the text in the drawings. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it would hurt if you tried to find a way to increase the contrast a little. I know that can end up being too much work. Personally, I don't mind that much if I have to struggle a little to read.

Anonymous said...

I love all your overheard conversations! But the woman in green was not my sister - we were joking that people might think that she was given that she had the same hair as me - but my sister was wearing cream, orange and brown. I'm sorry I didn't see you there!

Rachel Fox said...

I feel like you should have a blog where every day you draw something in a diary style... I'd read/look at it.
x

Rachel Fenton said...

Lori, I'll have a bash later - the pics do increase in size if you click on them, if you haven't tried that. These are just fresh out the sketch book - I'll work them up a bit for another outing maybe. I'm glad I entertained you! Thank you x

Rachel Fenton said...

Sarah - I know that was not your sister! Hence why she is in the comic. I'm a good listener. Amazing what people talk about in public places with good acoustics! I met your sister at the other gallery - last year or year before? Where the video installation of yours was.

I passed you three times, said hullo and waved at you - you must have been in deep conversation :)

Rachel Fenton said...

Thanks, Rachel x

Anonymous said...

Sorry, now I feel like such a heel. Not only did I not read carefully enough, I also ignored you! Now I shall cringe all day along with all the other things I am already cringing about :)

Rachel Fenton said...

I think the only person needing to cringe is the boyfriend of the person having the conversation outside! It was a very entertaining evening ;)