Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fall alright

Had a few bits of good fortune befall me this winter. Firstly: connecting with Jamez Chang, hip-hop (hurray) performer, artist and writer, and editor of flash fiction at Counterexample Poetics. Here's a piece of his bio:

"Jamez Chang is a poet, writer, lawyer, and former hip-hop artist living in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. After graduating from Bard College, Jamez went on to become the first Korean-American to release a hip-hop album, Z-Bonics (F.O.B. Productions, 1998), in the United States. He also composed the soundtrack to the documentary The #7 Train: An Immigrant Journey."

I'm delighted to be collaborating with Jamez on a project this month - watch this space.


Second bit of good news: I made the shortlist (second year running) of the University of Plymouth Short Fiction Competiton. I'm completely stoked about this as it's a tough comp from a brilliant journal - the shortlist always contains the very best of contemporary fiction - and I'm proud to have my name on the list again. Fingers crossed - winner announced in August.

Finally: last night I went to the launch of Sarah Laing's latest novel, The Fall of Light. I'm only a couple of chapters in (and enjoying muchly), but I recommend reading her work (she does awesome comics, too), and hopefully I can tempt you to buy her book with a comic scene from her launch.








  All text and images ©RaeJoyce 2013

Update: Sarah Laing gave my comics a lovely mention on her blog - along with some great pics from her launch - here.





No comments: